Sunday, September 12, 2010

Remember.

I remember September 10, 2001. Sometimes I long for that memory. Fall was just coming in. School was in session. I was a newlywed college student and things were going great. . It was a normal day back in a normal world.
And then the day happened. I woke up got dressed went to class and the world changed. There was sorrow, fear, faith , pride, but most of all shock. And out of the rubble of that day rose a new world. I knew at that moment my kids would not be born into the world I had grown up in. My heart still feels a little tender just thinking about it. My eyes tear up during the national anthem. My memory of those images is still bold and bright no matter who tries to block them. But the memory I will always come away with is how for a brief time we came together as Americans. Not black, white, gay ,straight, illegal or legal. We were in the fight together and we were not afraid because we know how to win.
We know how to defeat fear and terror. We know compassion and love. We know real strength comes from our ability to move forward to something positive. Not back to hate and book burnings. Strength is in the hello to a neighbor. Strength is in the smile at the store. Strength is in the moment we all decide to be better. Strength is in the Savior, and being like him. The mightiest sword does not strike down, but raises those who are struck down. And brings them into the light of peace, love and kindness.
I remember September 12, 2001. It was a cool fall day and there was a twinge of sorrow in the air. But in that sorrow was hope and in that hope was strength and in that strength we find America.

2 comments:

  1. awesome post jonny. i wish i could say i wrote it. i think this should be read on national television.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's amazing to me how those laurels -- not that much younger then us -- have such a different perception of what happened. it makes me realize how very important it is for us to tell our stories of that day, to teach our children about it, to remember it. sort of how grandpa used to ask mom "today is december 7 -- what happened today?" we'll probably ask "today is september 11 - what happened today?" lots of painful and interesting memories!
    love ya!

    ReplyDelete